Grass growing for business or private use is not only a serious matter but needs dedication and patience. From choosing seeds, preparing the lawn, growing, and maintenance, all these steps include taking care of your turf.
What is Sapphire Buffalo’s identity?
The Sapphire Buffalo (Stenotaphrum Secundatum’ B12′) is the only fine textured soft leaf buffalo grass in the market. It is a warm-season grass, but it can tolerate shaded areas very well (around 60-70%) making it the number one buffalo in the shed. This is the answer for those typical partly shade and partly sunny locations who need excellent quality turf all year round.
- Very high durability- weeds have little room to grow
- Can grow in sandy, lightly salty, or alkaline soils
- Loves full sun but can survive the shed to as much as 70%,
- Excellent tolerance and thrives in hot, humid and desert areas. Cold tolerance: Tested down to -10°c in Canberra.
- Stolons are present, deep-rooted.
- Very good winter colour.
- Moderate mowing frequency, the height of grass 35-45mm in full sun, 50-60mm in shade.
- Finer leaf compared to other buffalo varieties.
- Produces little seed head – a common irritant for people with allergies.
Quick Tips on how to raise your Sapphire Buffalo
Lawn Preparation and turf laying:
- Clean the soil from all wastes and weeds.
- Prepare a self-draining, sandy loam.
- Level the soil evenly.
- Apply fertilizer (NPK) in an equal amount and spread evenly on the ground.
- Lay the grass as soon as it is delivered in moist soil.
- On hot days, lay a roll then water lightly until you finish everything.
- In colder days you can unroll everything at once then water within an hour of laying.
- Water thoroughly making sure that the turf will not dry out until roots are established, once a day or more if hotter.
- To check, pull a corner of the grass and push in the soil three to four inches using any hard object. The object should be relatively easy to push down.
- Check all the corners and edges that are missed often.
- Areas near buildings dry out faster, so it needs more water.
- Water in the earlier part of the day to take advantage of the normal grass growing cycle and less evaporation.
- After the Sapphire Buffalo is settled, deeper infrequent watering is required.
- After 3-4 weeks of laying, mow lightly to give your lawn a clean look.
- After the Sapphire Buffalo is established, mow every 5-10 days in hot months and 3-6 weeks in colder months.
- Height: 35-45mm in full sunny areas, 50-60mm in shaded locations
- Feed the grass before laying the turf to encourage a healthier rooting.
- A slow release formula is encouraged.
- Nitrogen-rich fertilisers make the grass green faster.
- Never fertilise at the peak of summer.
- Sapphire Buffalo is quite resistant to pests, fungi and weeds but if problems occur ask your local suppliers of pests and weeds controller for products. Stay away from products containing DICAMBA.
- With careful and patient maintenance of your Sapphire Buffalo, the result will be a lush green paradise for you and your family to enjoy.